The Glasscock Center’s Communications Apprentice will assist with marketing, communication, and publicity for the Glasscock Center, as well as, other basic office needs. The applicant should have some proficiency in (or have the potential for developing) writing, social media, photography, basic office skills, and a desire to learn more about the humanities and humanities research.
Some office experience is helpful but not essential. Skills required include: knowledge of office procedures and equipment; ability to maintain a regular schedule (in coordination with class schedule), a professional demeanor, and a presentable office space, to follow instructions, to work without supervision, to take accurate messages, to finish projects efficiently, and provide status reports; willingness to initiate and anticipate tasks, to offer assistance to other staff, and to learn new skills. There will be a possible opportunity for summer employment of up to 20 hours per week.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist with website updates (WordPress & HTML) and email newsletter (Mailchimp)
- Assist with social media updates (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Assist in writing for various communications outlets
- Basic photography editing using Adobe Photoshop
- Basic graphic design work using Adobe Illustrator and InDesign
- Organize projects that further the Center’s outreach to undergraduates
- Create archives of the Center’s publicity (flyers, programs, posters, announcements)
- Assist with the visits of scholars from outside the university
- Enter data, copy and collate documents, and prepare bulk mailings
- Monitor and replenish office supplies
- Keep office area, copy room, and kitchen organized and neat
- Set up the Center’s Library for lectures and other events (technology, seating, tables, refreshments, etc.)
- Miscellaneous tasks as required
In addition to joining an administrative team, undergraduate assistants will be expected to take advantage of some of the Center’s regular humanities lunches, dinners with visiting scholars, workshops, seminars, and lectures.
APPLICATION: Applications will be considered on receipt and interviews scheduled soon thereafter.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS: Please include the following along with the online application form:
- A brief resume listing employment, internships, and activities